Sunday, August 3, 2008

Maui Wowee

Maui. The more loungin' and beachin' section of the trip. I spend my days working on my laptop and playing in the ocean and my nights jogging around the neighborhood and going out to bars. We are living in Kihei, a lively beach town. I miss the remoteness and excitement of getting around the Big Island, but it's nice to be able to walk down the street and see stretches of long, white sand beaches and lines of bars and restaurants. I bought a ukulele the other day. So far I've only learned to play the version of "Tonight, You Belong to Me" from The Jerk.



The buses are only $1 and run pretty frequently here. One day we rode down to Waimea, where the richies summer. We walked around the ritzy shops and baked on the crowded resort beach (pictured above). Another day we went to Ulua Beach, which is supposed to have some great snorkeling. It was the farthest out in the ocean I'd been swimming. I saw some really long and skinny, eel-like fish that I followed around. Then I got creeped out thinking of sharks and swam back in.



(Above) Mikey and I drinking some cocktails at this bar listening to the music of our Hawaiian friend who performs there.



Another day, we took some buses up to Lahaina, an old whaling town, and walked around. There are tons of shops and galleries there with crazy expensive art from a lot of famous artists. Apparently, Sir Anthony Hopkins is now an artist, and we saw his stuff in one gallery. We walked into a beautiful Catholic church (above) and sat in Banyan Tree Park, made from a huge winding Banyan tree (above).



Above: Me, posing with a tiki man in a Kihei shopping center

We only have little over a week left in Maui before we take a ferry back to Oahu. We're going to rent a car our last days here and drive around the entire island. Check back soon ...



Above: Michael's burger incident at his no longer favorite restaurant, Lulu's.

No comments: