Monday, June 9, 2008

Rainbow Plantation



It's our fourth day here on the farm! Our hosts, a very nice older German couple, put us in one of the guest cabins (pictured above) instead of the usual workers' quarters, which was a pleasant surprise. We have our own little outdoor kitchen and are living in the middle of all this lush, jungle-like vegetation, surrounded by peacocks and crazy-looking chickens. It's beautiful and peaceful. And there is a beached boat that has been turned into a guest room, I posted a pic above.

We start work at 7:15 in the mornings and get off after noon. Michael's mostly been weed-whacking. I've been cleaning the kitchens, sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, raking, painting, etc. And sneaking off to chug beers when I get bored.

We are pretty much in the middle of nowhere. We walked into "town" the other day. I think there is maybe one bar and we are determined to find it.

Yesterday we hitchhiked down to the Kealakekua Bay and went snorkeling. It's supposed to be the best snorkeling spot on the island. The water was so clear, and I think I got over my phobia of fish. I was afraid we were going to have to hike the 4-miles uphill on the way back but a lady and her car finally saved us.



We explored around the farm taking photos today, which I am posting here. The place is pretty much what I had expected and maybe a bit more. One surprising thing, however, that I was informed of when Marianna (our host) picked us up from the airport, is that she and her husband are going through a divorce. Apparently, she recently found out that her husband's frequent trips to Thailand aren't so innocent ... he's got a Thai girlfriend and she love him long time ...

I found out "mahalo" means "thank you,"
Jill

1 comment:

Jeanna said...

your man cooks? he's a keeper!

or was that picture strategically planned after you or your host left the kitchen?? sneaky, sneaky...