Sunday, June 29, 2008

You'll make good shark bait, Haole!


I likes to jump.


Mikey likes to weed-whack.

After being sick for four days with what I think was either food poisoning, the flu, a stomach virus or bug spray poisoning, I'm finally feeling like myself again. So nothing eventful happened this weekend unless you count me watching Revenge of the Nerds and puking my guts out.

Last weekend however was a blast. Michael and I finally rented a car, which is imperative if you want to get around this big crazy island. We drove up to some beaches in Kohala. Supposedly some of the most classically beautiful Hawaiian beaches on this island. We first went to Hapuna Beach, where I have never seen such clear water. Would be perfect for snorkeling except there weren't any fish to look at. The sand was amazing, too, it was so fine it just melts right under your feet. Afterwards we went to the Mauna Kea Beach, which was similarly gorgeous, and I did a lot of cartwheels in front of the sunset. At night, we went back to the Kona Brewery; I think we are becoming regulars.



I'm so glad we rented a car because we had no idea how strange the landscape is here. It's rocky and grassy and beach-y and mountain-y all at the same time. Kind of looks like we're in the desert and on the moon and in paradise at the same time. No light pollution, so it's nearly pitch black at night driving down the highway and sorta creepy.



Our crazy host lady is leaving on a trip in a few days and thank God!!! So I think we and the other two "wwoofers" are getting fireworks for 4th of July and having a good old-fashioned Edward 40-hands party.

- Jillerakukinawa

P.S. Apparently white is the minority here, and I am a called a "haole." When I looked up the definition, it means "one without any sensitivity or feelings whatsoever." Ouch. Harsh.

1 comment:

Jeanna said...

Sounds like you are having fun, even though u are working and being sick... David and I are going to Gatlinburg for our first trip alone together since we have been married. You are in Hawaii with your boyfriend and I have never taken a weekend with my husband, how sad is that!! Happy 4th of July!